Thursday, April 26, 2018

Announcement...4/24/18


I bet you thought I was going to announce something, huh? Well, I ain't. The title is just to commemorate the day that I announced on my Youtube channel that this blog exists. I didn't provide a link...I just made it known that it exists. If people are interested, they can come find it to read up on me. I said I was going to get pretty personal on this thing. And I mean it. At least for now, *wink-wink,* I'm treating this thing as a personal diary that no one else is going to read.

Today is the third time in about six months that I looked for apartments to rent in New York. Why do I keep doing that? My daughter's school is in upstate New York, not in the city, which is where I've been looking. I guess I keep thinking we'll eventually move to NY just to get a little closer to her. If I'm honest, though, I don't think I could survive NY. The place is too crowded and too savage. As much as I've tried to deny it, I stopped being a city girl a long time ago.

Did I ever tell you we lived in NY when I was a child? I was born in Puerto Rico and we moved to NY when I was three years old - I still remember our last address in Brooklyn, NY, and the name of the last school I attended. We moved to Virginia when I was 10. I remember going to my fifth grade class wearing leather bracelets in different colors with spikes on them. Everyone thought I was so interesting and all the girls wanted my bracelets. I ended up giving them away after a while.

I remember the first time we grocery shopped: it was at a Piggly Wiggly. Yes, a Piggly Wiggly. Crazy. I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I also remember the first Super Bowl we watched when we got here...I don't even remember who the other team was; I just know that the Giants played and won!

That's enough reminiscing for now. My husband made meatless tacos and they smell amazing.

Until next time, be blessed.

XOXOXO - Jess

2 comments:

  1. You have a great membry! I don't remember much of our childhood, I remember the fire hydrant splish splash, when we got your first cabbage patch doll, the treasure coin chest I dug up in the tard, the dog we had but the neighbors mistreated, the capsules(you know), the guy who tripped me up on the first floor, walking through the city for food and saw one of mom's soap stars, the candy at the corner store, my accident in the window following you around, Tina Turner, Madonna, Cindy Lauper, bunk beds, fire escapes, Old lady 2nd floor, block cheese and oatmeal, the neighbor and her husband who died... hmmm. I remember quite a lot. One more...Uncle Freddy and his coin magic tricks and faux uncle Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agh! You remember a whole heck of a lot! I, too, remember, the fire hydrant splish splash, when I got my first cabbage patch doll, the dog we had but the neighbors mistreated (we called her Spottika, so corny LOL!), the capsules and chalk and the razors we used to chop it up, walking through the city for food and saw one of mom's soap stars, the candy at the corner store (and walking there alone to buy our parents' beer and zigs, but also individual Little Debbies as a treat), your accident in the window, which was traumatizing! Your poor knee!, Tina Turner, Madonna, Cindy Lauper (I legit just commented on a friend's post of the Cindi Lauper album I was obsessed with and how I used a brush as a microphone running around our NY apt and jumping up on the couch to sing it LOL), bunk beds (was just talking to Jason about this!), fire escapes, block cheese and powdered eggs, the neighbor and her husband (Abraham) who died (of AIDS), Uncle Freddy and his coin magic tricks and faux uncle Carlos (who dad followed to VA and took us all with him LOL) Mn, u need to write a blog about all this! Do you ever wonder what our life might have been like if we never left NY?

      Delete