Thursday, April 26, 2018

Running Out...4/20/18


As an introvert and a person allergic to socialization, I require a lot of uninterrupted alone time in order to feel peaceful. However, ever since our daughter went away to college, I don't get as much of it. You see, our daughter and I are my husband's two favorite companions; and, unlike myself, he doesn't need or prefer a lot of alone time. So, Monday through Thursday of every week, unless I'm feeling really sick or exhausted (not often), I go home, immediately change my clothes, put my hair up in a messy bun, and then chat my husband up either in the dining room or while sitting in front of the TV. We eat together, watch a few shows, and then, around 9-ish, I go to our room and prepare for bed - I get up at 5 a.m. y'all, so I needs ta go ta bed early!

Before our daughter left for college, my routine was much different. I'd come home, eat, maybe spend 20 minutes talking to whoever was in the dining or living room (usually hubby and daughter), and then go to be alone. I never felt bad about it because our daughter was there. And if my husband would ask me to watch something with him I'd often get annoyed and let him know it. I know that sounds terrible...selfish and horrible really. How did my husband tolerate me? How did he even know that I loved him? I don't think he did. I think it was only recently that he said he knows and can feel that I love him. I always have, of course, but, admittedly, it's only this past year that I've actually made the effort to show him: by sacrificing my precious alone time! My husband knows how much I enjoy being alone, so I know he appreciates it when I instead choose to spend time with him. If I'm honest, in the beginning, it felt like a sacrifice, but now, not even a little bit.

Interestingly, now that our daughter is home for spring break, I've noticed myself automatically going back to my old, selfish routine. I realized just this second that I hate that. Maybe that realization was helped by the fact that I purposely spent time with hubby last night after work like I'd usually do, and it felt really, really good. Normal. Preferred. Go figure!

On another note, and it may just be that I need to broaden my interests, I've officially run out of things to watch. There is nothing interesting to me on Youtube or Netflix, and I'm all caught up on my shows on Hulu - except for Masterchef Junior because my husband and I like to watch that together. I do have this past Sunday's Walking Dead to watch on our DVR, which again, we like to watch together; and when I get home tonight I'll have a couple of new episodes of Judge Judy to watch and several episodes of Hot Bench that I haven't had the chance to catch up on this week.

Lastly, I mentioned in a Youtube video recently that we've got new neighbors and that they've been intolerable. We were strongly considering moving because of them. We looked at a few places, but nothing compelled us to apply. However, after two calls to the rental office and some tricks I've adopted to be able to sleep at night, we've decided not to inconvenience ourselves after all. We're comfortable for the time being and will renew our lease for another year. During the year we're going to purposely put aside the difference between what we're currently paying in rent and what we'd be willing to pay at another place for a little more space and quiet, just so that when the time comes to move, we'll already be used to paying the higher amount - and we'll have a little extra cash in the bank to boot!

Until next time, be blessed!

XOXOXO - Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment