Friday, May 11, 2018

Not Vegan Anymore...? 5/11/18

I don't know why, but this past month has been so weird for me, diet-wise. I've eaten quite a bit of non-vegan food and I have no explanation for it. Of the food I've eaten, I can honestly say that there was only one thing that I thoroughly enjoyed: a Mediterranean salad that contained a bit of feta cheese. The steak I tried to eat: NO enjoyment - in fact, my husband and I both agreed that the accompanying vegetables were far more enjoyable. The fried chicken sandwich, beef burger, chicken salad sandwich, tuna salad sandwiches, pizza, and so much more were all just BLAH. Wait, I take that back. I kind of  enjoyed the chicken salad sandwich...if I'm really honest, I actually really liked it. It ranked at number two on my list of most enjoyable garbage food I've eaten in the past month. As good as it was, it wasn't as absolutely deliciously enjoyable as that Mediterranean salad, which was mostly comprised of plants (go figure) with a sprinkling of feta cheese...

I'm retaining water like a mug, and I'm not happy about it. I was so frustrated yesterday that I contemplated going back to a ketogenic diet, with which I had great weight-loss success, but at the expense of my intestines, joints, muscles, stamina, and sleeping through the night. I barely defecated, didn't sleep at all and had the dark(er) circles and ever-present haggardness-of-face to prove it. I mean, I looked exhausted all of the time, even when I didn't feel tired. I couldn't walk any amount of distance without my legs feeling like they were about to give out on me, and I had shooting pain from my right butt cheek down my right leg on a daily basis. I couldn't sit or stand for an hour without the pain becoming too much to bear.

Since we went vegan - or maybe I should say, "plant-based," because we still owned and used leather products and non-vegan skin products - I sleep through most nights, joint pain is gone - that shooting pain from the butt down the leg? Completely gone. My skin has improved, my stamina is ridiculous and even after extreme exercise, when I really pushed my body to do things it hasn't done since, like, middle school, I recovered to the point of being able to do it all over again in less than 24 hours.

I don't know if I'm depressed and if so, if that's the reason I'm giving up on myself this way. I swore I'd never eat pus (mucus) - I mean cheese again, yet I ate pizza with cheese! And feta! Of all of the non-vegan foods I considered going back to eating once in a while once I became healthy again,  cheese was not one of them. It's been almost a week since I've had any cheese and my throat is still fighting off the phlegm. Forget that cheese is garbage for my body because of the fat and cholesterol -  but I'm lactose intolerant, people! How could I do that to myself? What is wrong with me?

I needed to remind myself of my experiences with the ketogenic diet and plant-based diet. That's what this was about...I think. But, I also need to watch What the Health again to remind myself why I made the decision to cut those foods out of my life. And yet, I've been avoiding doing that, too. What a mess.

Another big issue is that I'm so lazy and abhor cooking. My husband cooks a lot but he loves oil and salt, and to be successful at a high-carb diet, fat and salt have to be extremely scarce. He's already tired of rice and beans or lentils. I can't tell him to stop adding flavor to stuff or complain when he gives me something that he clearly put a lot of time and effort into cooking.

I just now remembered that at one point, I'd made the decision to not care about weight loss, but to just focus on being healthy and putting healthy things into my body. Looks like I've given up on that philosophy, too...

I feel stuck. I feel like not eating anything at all until I figure out what the heck to do with my life.

Well this just got dark. Sorry.

Anyway, that's all I have for now....

Until next time, be blessed!

XOXOXO - Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment