Friday, May 18, 2018

TV Tastes...5/18/18

You may or may not know this about me but I used to be super obsessed with TV court shows. For years, I'd scour YouTube looking for new episodes to watch before they were removed for copyright infringement. When we got a DVR this past fall, I was so excited because I could now record them at home and watch after work. NOT People's Court, NOT Judge Mathis, NEVER Judge Joe Brown for goodness sake - WHY Jesus? - and no other court shows, just Judge Judy and Hot Bench. I added Hot Bench to the recordings just a few months ago because I liked Judge Acker.

I loved everything about these shows. They had kind of a rhythm to them that I found comforting. I can't quite explain it. However, weeks have gone by and I have not had the urge to watch the nearly 30 episodes (of each show) my DVR stored for me. I actually tried binge watching some two weekends ago and found that doing so drained me. It's so weird...I tried watching some again two nights ago and was just turned off. I canceled the recordings and deleted both folders of nearly 60 total episodes without watching them. I really can't believe I did that. You have no idea how seriously obsessed I was with these shows!

I think a combination of a few things has inspired this action:

1. The obvious pre-biases on some cases have gotten on my dang nerves.
2. Some people are starting to become long-winded, reminding me of Judge Joe Brown. Asking stupid questions and drawing out the process of asking stupid questions thinking they're doing something special with their questioning but really are just looking foolish.
3. I've been disagreeing more and more with the outcomes from both shows.
4. I started watching For The People (FTP), The Good Wife (TGW), and now The Good Fight (TGF).

FTP is a new show. I don't jump to watch the show every week; I kind of let them accumulate on Hulu before going back to them. There's one guy on there that I just cannot tolerate because he's so clearly trying to portray something that he so so SO is not. I get acting is all about portraying who you're not, but this guy isn't a good enough actor to pull it off. It makes me resent whoever cast him just as much, if not even more than the guy himself. I may end up not watching the show after a while unless he gets better - or better yet, replaced. We'll see.

TGW was recommended to me when I put a post up asking for recommendations. It wasn't until I was a couple of seasons into it that it hit me: this show, and For The People are uh-duh, court shows. Just different kinds. These are more serious I guess, and going back to the TV courtroom cases just didn't click to me anymore. What's my deal with court shows anyway? I watched all of the episodes of TGW, but, if I'm honest, I barely enjoyed it. It was hard to stay into it. Now, there were some good moments, but to me, it started out dry and ended dry, too. That last episode was the absolute worst way to end that show.

TGF is also hard for me to enjoy. Again, some good stuff, but mostly, I'm bored. I don't know how Maia got such a huge role in this show. The acting ability is so lacking there. Like..overly dramatic or something. It's bad when someone who is supposed to play a small, supporting role, Marissa, oozes so much more personality in the few minutes at a time she gets on screen than pretty much everyone else who gets much more screen time. I actually really liked her on TGW, too. I'd like to see her in more stuff. Oh, and the main investigator, Jay: don't like his acting, but when he and Marissa are together in a scene, it's fun. I like their chemistry and suspect they might start dating. I like Diane, too, but her little hallucinations and fake laughter are not cute to me at the moment. I hope they stop. Lucca...I have mixed feelings about her, but mostly because of the way she speaks. She's British but is not playing a British person, so her exaggerated speech is annoying at times. I like her with Colin, though. He's adorable and they look adorable together.

Why am I torturing myself like this? I feel a bit..."off." Like everything and nothing is entertaining me all at once. It's weird.

Anyway, that is all I have for now.

Until next time, Stay Blessed!

XOXOXO - Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment