Friday, June 1, 2018

Catalyst...Not 6/1/18

I often begin these posts without a title, because who knows what this joint will be about by the time I'm done with it?

Hubby and I went out in a rain storm last Sunday night to attend a church service that was supposed to be some kind of catalyst to spiritual awesomeness. In fact, the service was called either The Catalyst or just Catalyst. I don't know. The potential was there, I guess, the first few minutes, but somehow God was sucked out of the room..if He was ever there in the first place. If I'm honest, it was almost like He was standing outside peeking in to see if the place was worth His time, decided it wasn't, and then decided not to step in after all. It was quite disappointing...

Years back, my husband, kids and I used to attend this special event that happened I believe once or twice a month called The Encounter. Good Lord it was a miracle if I didn't bawl at some point in the service. The earnest desire of the people there to feel or  hear something from God was so clear every.single.time...God never failed to show up. Even my kids were touched by these services, raising their hands unprovoked by humans, if not falling to their knees in worship. It was a beautiful thing. I miss those experiences.

I think if there is even one heart in a room crying out for God to show up, He will. The mistake we humans make, however, is in paying too much attention to how insincere everyone else around us appears, thereby forfeiting the opportunity to get a touch from God ourselves. There was something so shallow and rehearsed and fake and just not right about the whole service that I spent way too much time dwelling on it, and lost focus. That was my bad.

I'm questioning whether this church is really for us. This place is like walking into an H&M or Forever 21. Ninety percent of the membership is young-looking and oh so fashionable. To be fair, though, they actually do a lot of great work for the community and have lots of groups to engage in and are a giving church as a whole. The pastor is likable and funny and he has delivered some pretty good messages, too. I'm just not 100% certain that the spiritual nourishment I crave can be found there. I'll have to pray on this of course...
 
Until next time, Stay Blessed!

XOXOXO - Jess










No comments:

Post a Comment